Friday, September 10, 2010

When are we going Christmas shopping?

This is the question that Mother has had the last two days.  I first tried to convince her that it is only September and that we have plenty of time for Christmas shopping.  She didn't believe me, though.  Yesterday she insisted that it is November.  Today she is convinced it is December.  She is upset because she thinks that someone bought a baby doll for some child that she wanted to buy one for.  She made me promise not to let that person give the doll to this child because she wants to give it to her.  Of course, I agreed to anything.
I made the mistake, yesterday, of telling Mother that we would go shopping today.  She usually doesn't stay on the same "kick" two days in a row.  But, of course, she was upset with me when I told her we couldn't go today.  She looked up at me with the saddest eyes and said, "I know we won't ever get to go, will we?"  Of course, I told her we will go, or that if she wants me to do her shopping for her that I'll be glad to do it.  She didn't say no to that idea, so maybe she will be satisfied that I am doing her shopping.  Last year she had me buy finger paint, water colors, crayons and coloring books for all the little  ones in the family. along with a few things for a few other people.  This year, I thought she wouldn't even know when Christmas comes around.  Who knows?
On Wednesday, my cousin and I were both there at lunch time.  She was calm and seemed to know pretty much what was going on.  After only a few minutes, though, she told us it was time for us to leave.  I asked her if she knew who my cousin was, and she did.  When I asked her if she knew me, she said, "Yes, Mother."

2 comments:

  1. Poor darling. It must be awful to be so confused, and not to understand why. She is always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to your mother and the other residents and to you, too. Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete