Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's going to be a sad day

My father-in-law's dog, Honey, a beautiful boxer, is so very sick and old.  My father-in-law loves this dog so much.  Since my mother-in-law died, Honey has been his 24/7 companion, well, actually she was his and her companion for so many years.  She was the delight of my mother-in-law's last few years!!!!!  She used to slip her bites of food, let her do anything she wanted, etc.....then she'd say, "She's only a dog once."
Honey has been really slipping for the past few months.  We have noticed a considerable difference in her every day.  Last night, we went over to watch the Lady Vols lose to Notre Dame ( BoooooHoooooo).  Honey was just laying there, breathing with that short, little, fast breath that is the indicator, I've learned, that a person's (or dog's) life is coming to an end.  She had that glazed look in her eyes, too.  The saddest thing was to see her try to stand up and not be able to raise her hips off the floor.  She hasn't eaten for a few days.  My father-in-law got her up and took her outside, but it took him and my husband both to get her back inside.  He took her out this morning and she couldn't stand up long enough to pee.  I think he has come to the conclusion that her time has come.  He's going to call the vet this morning to make an appointment to have her put down.  He always said he wouldn't do this, but watching her suffer is more than he can stand to see.
He is going to bury her in her dog lot, next to the rose bush that someone sent when my mother-in-law died exactly 11 months ago, today.  Marie will be so happy to see her Honey again!
So, please be thinking about and praying for my father-in-law today.  It's going to be a hard one.
This has been a rough year for our families, with my mother-in-law and my mother both dying, and our 19 1/2 year old cat, Vanilla,  and now, Honey.

2 comments:

  1. oh Julia- my heart breaks. We have had to do this with a couple of dogs and it is like losing a family member- but it is just so painful when they can no longer eat or move- and they don't understand why we don't fix it for them. My heart and my prayers are with your FIL and all of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! We have a boxer girl who is getting on in years... many tears have been shed about leaving her for 7 months while we go to China. They are such wonderful companions. Beautiful dogs!

    ReplyDelete